Clarks Green, Pennsylvania
View homes for sale and things to do in Clarks Green! This close-knit community is located within Lackawanna County in the foothills of the Poconos and Endless Mountains. Clarks Green is in the Abington Heights School District.
Clarks Green was founded by Deacon William A. Clark. In 1792, Clark and his sons built a log cabin and became the first settlers of the area. The following year, his entire family relocated from Rhode Island. The first road through the Borough, known as the Philadelphia – Great Bend Turnpike, was built by 1812. Deacon Clark’s son Jeremiah built a tavern as the first commercial business. Eventually a militia was formed as the community grew. They practiced on a greens ward which is why they named the area Clarks Green. Clarks Green was incorporated on May 5, 1914.
Today, the community and surrounding areas have plenty of activities for all members of the family year-round. Hillside Park, a 100-acre recreation facility, is host to a community garden, dog park, playground, a lake for public fishing, trails, 2 softball fields, a soccer field, and a synthetic football field. Lakeside Concerts are also held each Wednesday in the summer. The Lahey Family Fun Park, just off the Morgan Highway, is a family-friendly amusement park with bumper boats, mini golf, go-karts, and so much more.
Clarks Green is in close proximity to many fine institutions of higher learning. Clarks Summit University, for example, is a Christian university in nearby South Abington Township. The city of Scranton is nearby and offers more colleges, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and historical sites, too. Manning Farm Dairy has numerous locations for their local milk and homemade ice cream, including a location in Clarks Summit.