Jackson Township, Pennsylvania
View new property listings and homes for sale in Jackson Township! This residential and agricultural community is located in the scenic Back Mountain area of Luzerne County. It is within Lake-Lehman School District. Chase and Huntsville communities are both located in Jackson Township. A portion of Shavertown is also located in Jackson Township.
In 1844, the portion of land known as Jackson Township was taken from Plymouth. It was named after Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States. The first road was cut in 1795. It stretched through the county from Wilkes-Barre to Bradford County. A man named palmer Ransom was the first to settle the land in 1795. Within a year, more individuals settled the region. Henry Cease is credited with being the first settler in the western part of the township (Harvey’s creek) in 1830. Carpentry and blacksmithing were both vocations of the area. The first sawmill was built by Asahel and Rufus Drake in 1795.
The Huntsville Reservoir is nearby. The 402-acre lake is the home to a dam constructed in in 1892. Today, the 2-billion-gallon reservoir supplies water to 30,000 people. Hillside Farms is also located nearby in Shavertown. The non-profit, historic, educational farm offers delicious milk and ice cream, Mercantile and Greenhouse, as well as information on sensible and sustainable farming.
Moon Lake State Forest Recreation Area in Plymouth Township is located just off PA Route 29. The 942-acre park within the Pinchot State Forest offers open fields and woodlots surrounding 48-acre, spring-fed lake. For those who love the great outdoors, Moon lake is open for mountain biking, hiking, fishing, bird watching, and nature study.
Jackson Township is only minutes away from Dallas, 10 miles from Wilkes-Barre, and has easy access to Route 11. Penn-State Wilkes-Barre, Misericordia University, and Luzerne County Community College are also nearby.