Wilkes-Barre, Hanover & Nanticoke, PA Towns
- Glen Lyon
- Hanover Twp.
- Laurel Run
Wilkes-Barre, Hanover & Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
Wilkes-Barre city is located in northeastern Pennsylvania on the banks of the Susquehanna River. The River Common is located along the eastern bank of the river. Its features include a 750-person amphitheater, paved walk-ways, gardens, ornamental trees, grand common and seating area, fishing pier, and two grand gateways connecting the city to the river.
Kirby Park is a public park located along the western bank of the Susquehanna River. It is one of the region’s most valued recreational resources. Given to the City of Wilkes-Barre by the Kirby Family, the park welcomes hundreds of thousands each year. The park is the setting for the Cherry Blossom Festival in April and the Fourth of July Celebration. Its amenities include tennis courts, a fitness trail, a pond, walking paths, running track, softball fields, parking area, volleyball courts, pavilions and more.
A Public Square houses a weekly Farmers market from June thru November, and the Fine Arts Fiesta in May. There you will find the Kirby Center for the Performing Arts, a historic theater known for delighting audiences with a philharmonic orchestra, Broadway shows, opera, ballet, children’s shows and other concert venues. The Little Theatre of Wilkes Barre, a non-profit community theatre, with professional quality Broadway-style live theatre productions put on by many local citizens.
In addition to our cultural opportunities the area is enhanced by 6 local colleges and universities. Kings College and Wilkes University are located in the downtown and in addition to offering a top notch education offer music institutes, world renowned speakers, art shows and more all offered to the general public. A Barnes and Noble café contains a combined college bookstore, where you can also find all of the best sellers.
Downtown living is available with condominiums and luxury rental apartments, a Movie 14 theatre and YMCA as well as plentiful dining options with many varied cuisines, all within walking distance of the Square.
- Wilkes Barre, Hanover & Nanticoke Area School District
- Wyoming Seminary, MMI & Scranton Preparatory Schools
- Apple Tree Nursery & Susquehanna Prep
- Montessori & additional schools with religious affiliations
- Abundant Restaurants & Shopping
- Close to Golf, Boating, Skiing, Hiking Camping & All Recreation
- Farmers Market & Fine Arts Festival
- Amphitheatre & Boat launch
- Kirby Center for Performing Arts & stadium Movie theatre
- Frederick Stegmaier Mansion B&B
- Osterhout Free Library
- Kirby Park
- Mohegan Sun Casino & Restaurants
- Montage Mountain Resort & Amphitheatre
- 11 Area College & Universities
- Variety of housing styles & price ranges