See the latest property listings and photos of homes in the Wilkes-Barre area right here! Located along the Susquehanna River, Wilkes-Barre is within the Wilkes-Barre Area School District.
Wilkes-Barre city is located in Northeastern Pennsylvania on the banks of the Susquehanna River. The city was founded in in 1769 and incorporated in 1806. The discovery of coal in the region led to rapid growth in that area during the 19th century.
Wilkes-Barre features a beautiful River Common that is located along the eastern bank of the Susquehanna River. Its features include a 750-person amphitheater, paved walk-ways, gardens, ornamental trees, grand common and seating area, fishing pier, and two grand gateways connecting the city to the river.
Wilkes-Barre Public Square houses a weekly Farmers Market from June through November, and the Fine Arts Fiesta in May. The square also boasts the Kirby Center for the Performing Arts, a historic theater known for delighting audiences with a philharmonic orchestra, Broadway shows, opera, ballet, children’s shows and other concert venues. Also nearby is the Little Theatre of Wilkes-Barre, a non-profit community theatre, with professional quality Broadway-style live theatre productions put on by local citizens.
Just across the river is Kirby Park, a public park that is one of the region’s most valued recreational resources. Given to the City of Wilkes-Barre by the Kirby Family, the park welcomes hundreds of thousands each year.
- Wilkes Barre, Hanover & Nanticoke Area School District
- Wyoming Seminary, MMI & Scranton Preparatory Schools
- Apple Tree Nursery & Susquehanna Prep
- Montessori & additional schools with religious affiliations
- Abundant Restaurants & Shopping
- Close to Golf, Boating, Skiing, Hiking Camping & All Recreation
- Farmers Market & Fine Arts Festival
- Amphitheatre & Boat launch
- Kirby Center for Performing Arts & stadium Movie theatre
- Frederick Stegmaier Mansion B&B
- Osterhout Free Library
- Kirby Park
- Mohegan Sun Casino & Restaurants
- Montage Mountain Resort & Amphitheatre
- 11 Area College & Universities
- Variety of housing styles & price ranges